Note for the Record, Hebron agreement
January 15, 1997.
The two leaders met on January 15, 1997, in the presence of the U.S. Special Middle East Coordinator. They requested him to prepare this Note for the Record to summarize what they agreed upon at their meeting.
The two leaders agreed that the Oslo peace process must move forward to succeed. Both parties to the Interim Agreement have concerns and obligations. Accordingly, the two leaders reaffirmed their commitment to implement the Interim Agreement on the basis of reciprocity and, in this context, conveyed the following undertakings to each other:
The Israeli side reaffirms its commitments to the following measures and principles in accordance with the Interim Agreement:
Issues for Implementation
- Further Redeployment PhasesThe first phase of further redeployments will be carried out during the first week of March.
- Prisoner Release IssuesPrisoner release issues will be dealt with in accordance with the Interim Agreement’s provisions and procedures, including Annex VII.
Issues for Negotiation
- Outstanding Interim Agreement IssuesNegotiations on the following outstanding issues from the Interim Agreement will be immediately resumed. Negotiations on these issues will be conducted in parallel:
- Safe Passage
- Gaza Airport
- Gaza port
- Economic, financial, civilian and security issues
- Permanent Status NegotiationsPermanent status negotiations will be resumed within two months after implementation of the Hebron Protocol.
The Palestinian side reaffirms its commitments to the following measures and principles in accordance with the Interim Agreement:
- Complete the process of revising the Palestinian National Charter
- Fighting terror and preventing violence
- Strengthening security cooperation
- Preventing incitement and hostile propaganda, as specified in Article XXII of the Interim Agreement
- Combat systematically and effectively terrorist organizations and infrastructure
- Apprehension, prosecution and punishment of terrorists
- Requests for transfer of suspects and defendants will be acted upon in accordance with Article II(7)(f) of Annex IV to the Interim Agreement
- Confiscation of illegal firearms
- Size of Palestinian Police will be pursuant to the Interim Agreement.
- Exercise of Palestinian governmental activity, and location of Palestinian governmental offices, will be as specified in the Interim Agreement.
The aforementioned commitments will be dealt with immediately and in parallel.
Either party is free to raise other issues not specified above related to implementation of the Interim Agreement and obligations of both sides arising from the Interim Agreement.
|Prepared by Ambassador Dennis Rossat the request of
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
and Ra’ees Yasser Arafat